Parabellum by Greg Hickey - Book Review

Parabellum
4 of 5 stars
Find on Goodreads
Coming Out October 2020

** Was given a copy of this book for an honest review **

A shooting at a Chicago beach leaves several dead and dozens injured. In the year before the attack, four individuals emerge as possible suspects.

An apathetic computer programmer.
An ex-college athlete with a history of head injuries.
An Army veteran turned Chicago cop.
A despondent high school student.

One of them is the shooter. Discover who and why.

A SOLID 4 star read! I really got into this book! I probably would have finished it must sooner if it wasn't an ebook (I so struggle with those lol). SO as usual things I disliked, liked, and who I recommend this book for.

Dislikes:
Oh that end... I wanted so much more of a wrap up. But honestly that is just personal taste rather than a flaw of the book. This books ending was supposed to be quite abrupt and it makes sense because you sort of begin the book at the end. But I guess I wanted a more character focused wrap up for each one we followed in more depth!
I also really disliked the eventual "bad guy" of the story.. I felt like I wanted at least one person to show him up.. one person to put him in his place... but I digress. His arc left me a little unsatisfied but not enough to change my opinion of the otherwise great story.

Likes:
Can I say this book truly goes into details about how life can spiral when dealing with mental health and traumas. You don't really get to know any of the characters names, you follow them based on some description of them (student, programmer, etc.) and while that seems like it will make for an impersonal read I found that the separation between knowing the characters personally and learning about them through their experiences, their day-to-day made it more possible to experience them as people you would know in your real life, your neighbor, friend, family, colleague. It was that which made this book so endearing and tragic, you realized how easy it was for anyone to be these people. So when you get to the nitty-gritty of the premise of this book, and you know one of these characters your following does something truly horrific the stakes feel that much higher.

Who I recommend this for:
I think this book will be great for the avid mystery thriller and who-done-it readers but also for those who like to poke in to the psyche of the human mind. This book is great at portraying those who both overcome and succumb to the inner torments and desires and I think cleverly terrifies and humbles the reader.

Find me on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Goodreads

Comments